Are you gearing up to run a new RPG campaign and not sure how to keep track of the cast of characters, world information, and session notes? Do you need to get a better handle on your long-running game to more easily pull up information during the session? The following overview of different organization methods can help you choose the campaign management option that best suits your group’s needs and your personal prep style.
A Three-Ring Binder and Notebook
Put the “pen and paper” back in pen and paper RPGs.
It’s for You If:
- ✔ You’re on a budget.
- ✔ You’re a crafty, DIY, or “by hand” type of person.
- ✔ You want flexibility: you can fill the binder with handwritten and printed notes, and you can be as vague or detailed as you please.
- ✔ You like to run your games in electrically challenged locations.
- ✔ You want to enjoy a beautiful campaign keepsake at the end.
It’s Not for You If:
- ✘ You’re constantly forgetting to bring things with you. There’s no backup or cloud access with this analog option.
- ✘ You want a “Search” function for your materials.
- ✘ You want to let players or a co-GM reference campaign material on their own time.